Tuesday, February 9

In The Past Two Weeks

We pressed on.
Sometimes it's all you can do to just keep this learning process going. Someone asked recently, "What's your first thought every morning when you wake up?" Mine is typically, "I hope this works." And we've had bad days and good days in the process of making it "work." something will typically trip us up; sometimes it's me, sometimes it's the kids, sometimes it's the curriculum, sometimes it's the expectations. But we adjust and regroup and find a way to effectively press on. We finished our unit on plants and began our study of the solar system.

We saw God answer prayer.
S fell three weeks ago which resulted in 12-15 stitches in his bottom lip and two slanted top teeth. We watched his lip heal quickly and have been seeing the dentist to watch his teeth. It appeared that they might die instead of heal and would need to be pulled. But we watched them for two weeks and prayed and prayed that God would heal them. And he is doing just that. After seeing the dentist yesterday she doesn't feel any need for treatment at this time. Whew. Can't tell you how great that divine hug felt. On top of that God worked out a little financial hiccup with the dental insurance and it will at least be put off long enough for me to settle our bill next pay period rather than sweating it out right now. I really, really appreciated that.

We took a break.
DH had a chance to audit a DMin class with Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch back at Western Seminary in our beloved Portland. Naturally, I said, "Sorry, Babe, but you can't go without the rest of us." (I could just as easily have said, "Sorry, Bank Account, but he can't go without the rest of us.") And so last week we were enjoying the company of friends and family in the Portland and Albany, Oregon area. My parents love hanging with my boys and all I had to think about was organizing family photos and reading books. The very best way to fight those winter homeschooling doldrums is to take a trip somewhere and leave school at home. And if you can take two of your boys on the plane for the first time in their memory, it makes it so much more fun.

I read a book that gave me grace.
I'll add more thoughts on it soon, but I feel as if I'm at a turning point. It could be a major re-route. It could be a minor shift. I'm not really sure how it will end up, but I'm ready to be something more than just a homeschooling mom. I have other gifts that I'd like to use... goals, you know. I'm glad to have read Mama'a Got a Fake I.D. as I wade through all the thoughts in my head right now.

In the weeks to come we have an unusual schedule, but I think it's a purposeful one. I hope that in your own busyness that you are able to grab hold of the core of who God made you to be and act from that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For two years I have had comments turned off as a discipline to write for myself. I'm seeing the other side. I just ask that you comment with grace.