Thursday, September 30

Fall Reading






I have a humongous Amazon wishlist and it just keeps growing.  When I get a good book recommendation I start following trails and add several items to my wishlist in one sitting.  I don't want to own all these books, it's just my running list of what I would like to read.  Because I feel like I'm in a bit of a growing season right now I know the list will only get bigger if I don't actually get to it.

I can't afford to go buy 81 books so I used my local library and they came through with four books from my list on my very first try.  I love that place.  So, here's what's on my list to get through before Christmas:

A Room of One's Own (Annotated)  Truth & Beauty: A FriendshipSpiritual Direction: Wisdom for the Long Walk of FaithPraying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God (Active Prayer Series)The Pearl (Centennial Edition)The Beautiful Fight: Surrendering to the Transforming Presence of God Every Day of Your LifeThe Middle PlaceThe Critical Journey, Stages in the Life of Faith, Second Edition


In addition to these there's a little one in there about a doing a coming of age birthday for my son.  This idea has been in the works since before he was born and it's already getting close. (!)  There will also be a couple of marriage books in there in preparation for a retreat we'll be leading in the spring. i.e. this list is not exhaustive.

I just finished Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship last night.  Most of it, that is.  I started gasping for air in the final section and skimmed much of it. I did find the last chapter to be interesting enough, so I feel like I finished well.

I've already started making a list of what I want to read next summer (that theme will be forthcoming).  In fact I think I woke up today making various lists in my head.   Enough with the list making.  On with the list-doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For two years I have had comments turned off as a discipline to write for myself. I'm seeing the other side. I just ask that you comment with grace.