Sunday, December 19

Top 10 Books I Want To Read in 2011

No Man Is an Island (Shambhala Library)1.  No Man Is an Island  by Thomas Merton.  I haven't read anything by Thomas Merton before.  So, whether it's this book or another, it really doesn't matter.

The Rock That Is Higher: Story as Truth2.  The Rock That Is Higher: Story as Truth by Madeleine L'Engle.  This one has been calling to me for over a year.  It's out of print, but I'll get my hands on it one way or another.

Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense3.  Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense by N.T. Wright.  Continuing my complete appreciation for N.T. Wright I'll finally get to this one that everyone else has already read.  It's even on my bookshelf already.

Untamed: Reactivating a Missional Form of Discipleship (Shapevine)4.  Untamed: Reactivating a Missional Form of Discipleship by Alan and Debra Hirsch.  I'm still thinking hard about spiritual formation and I'm wondering if this one will inform me in this direction.

Let Nothing Disturb You (30 Days With a Great Spiritual Teacher) 5. Let Nothing Disturb You by Teresa of Avila.  The title itself makes me feel more peaceful.  30 days with a great spiritual teacher sounds like a very good idea.

Mind of the Maker6. Mind of the Maker by Dorothy L. Sayers.  Theology and creativity from the mind of a woman.  That's kind of where I'm at these days.

Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back 7. Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer.  I've read a few books from now-adults who grew up in the church and am fashioning my own response to them.  Interested to see what Schaeffer has to say.

One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are 8. One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp.  This doesn't come out until mid-January and I'm waiting very impatiently.  Ann's blog is like a long drink from a deep well.  I can't wait to hold more of her thoughts in my hands.

Sacred Companions: The Gift of Spiritual Friendship & Direction 9.  Sacred Companions: The Gift of Spiritual Friendship & Direction by David G. Benner.  I've been thinking about what mentoring looks like and I'm hoping this one helps me form a direction in which to work.

Life Is Mostly Edges: A Memoir 10.  Life Is Mostly Edges: A Memoir by Dr. Calvin Miller.  I stole this one from my friend, Dustin. I've heard Miller speak a few times and I've read some of his other works so I'm positive this should be a very interesting memoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For two years I have had comments turned off as a discipline to write for myself. I'm seeing the other side. I just ask that you comment with grace.